Web Hosting Podcast episode 3
News / security
WordPress plugin with 200,000 installs has a backdoor – Display Widgets version 2.6.1 and 2.6.3
Company agrees to pay $1 million in bitcoin to unlock 157 web servers.
CloudFlare now includes apps June 27th – https://blog.cloudflare.com/cloudflare-apps-2/
Some of the great apps on cloudflare I have found.
– social icons – add social icons automatically to your site
– tweet this – highlight and tweet text
– Facebook comments – Facebook Comments app lets people comment on content on your site using their Facebook account.
– Facebook Like – Add a Facebook Like button to your site to build your social media presence.
– Pinterest – Let your visitors share your content and increase your social presence with Pinterest buttons!
– google maps – quickly add a map to your page.
– spotify, soundcloud, trebble – add music playlists to your site.
– ecommerce apps for paypal
– fun stuff – particles and browser blast.
– check out all the apps here.
One click installers
What are one click installers?
One click installers allow you to “install” a range of popular software from a library of applications for use. These can include wordpress, joomla, drupal and many others depending on your host and possibly the hosting plan you select at signup.
The 3 major one click installers used for hosting.
softaculous – https://www.softaculous.com/
installatron – http://installatron.com/
All allow you to install the most current version of popular software including.
Why I like installatron over the others.
– Ease of use, hands down installatron is easiest to use.
– clone a site and move a site to another location – very easy to do.
– remote backup including dropbox integration.
– automatic install of security plugins (wordpress specific in this case) during the one click install.
– automatic update with backup and rollback ; this is huge. Installatron will automatically backup, then attempt to update each piece that needs a update. If a update fails it will roll back to the backup file. It sends emails out regarding the status of the updates and if they were successful or not.
– schedule of backups and retention. This only backs up the installed application and not your entire cPanel or control panel account. This allows your site to be portable and easy to restore in the event something happens to your site.
– Easily login to your wordpress site from inside of cPanel.
– Easily reset your wordpress login credentials, this includes the password.
– Install two factor authentication on creation of wordpress site, or later on. This can be enabled by default.
– Limit failed login attempts, by default.
– You can import current installs into installatron so that it can manage it for you. This is very handy to help manage automated updates and backups.
Follow this blog post to see how to import your current install of wordpress into installatron. Keeping your WordPress Website Updated | Enrolling in an Automatic Updater
Domain registration with David Anderson of Canvas Host
Topics covered with David from Canvas Host.
– What is a domain registrar.
– Buying a new domain.
– Price change after one year – this is very common to see a $1.99 or lower, intro price and then have a much higher price renewal after the first year. Could be much much higher.
– Domain transfer to new registrar – unlock domain, generate epp code, send epp code to new registrar. Watch the transfer fee, will renew for 1 year.
– Grace periods – 0 – 45 days after it expires. Just the cost to renew.
– Redemption – after 45 days. This costs a lot more money + renewal. Fee varies on registrar.
– Pending deletion after 80 days, which then anyone can register after released. This is cheaper than paying redemption fees, but could cost you your domain.
– Loosing a domain by lapsing and entering delete state.
– Contact information must be current on domain registration so that you can be reached. DO NOT USE bogus/false info!!
– Private registration – $7.50 per year, can vary by registrar, some TLDs are free for private registration. For exmaple, *.uk. Some domains can’t have private registration, .us for example.
– Warning about domain registry of america letter and the scam. Domain slamming. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name_scams
If you have show topic suggestions, recommendations or want to be on the show follow this link